- Hey Owain, thanks for your selection of free genealogy software. I tried tracing my family tree back around the year 2000 but came across too many software issues. They were continually updating, adding new add ons and like you mention, it becomes very expensive, the reasons I gave up to be honest.
- MacFamilyTree 9.1.2 - Create and explore your family tree. Download the latest versions of the best Mac apps at safe and trusted MacUpdate.
The Best Free Genealogy Software app downloads for Mac: Heredis 2020 Family Tree Builder Family Tree Maker Reunion 10 iFamily Reunion Ancestral Quest.
Features and functions:
· This is efficient free genealogy software for Mac which not only lets you create family trees but also search online for family history.
· It gives 3D representation of your family tree and has a slick interface.
· It also allows you to publish your family tree on the web with iCloud.
Pros of MacFamily tree
· The software makes it very easy to build family trees and has a clean interface.
· It enables you to search for your family history and trace lineage online and this is one of its best feature.
Best Free Family Tree Software For Mac Osx
· You can also publish or post the family tree online and share it with your other family members.
Cons of MacFamily tree
· MacFamily tree tends to struggle when used with large files and this is one of its negative points.
· It doesn’t offer the search or interaction possibilities the way other such programs do.
· It can prove to be very buggy.
1. I am a bit of a beginner and found it a little hard at the start but didn't have any problem importing a GEDCOM of a family tree.
2. Generally easy to use. Visually pleasing interface.
3. Very nice visually, easy to use. Can support large number of entry.
Are you a Mac genealogist? Check out these family history software for Mac recommendations sent in by Genealogy Gems listeners.
Recently we’ve been talking about the importance of keeping your master family tree in family tree software on your computer, especially in the wake of Ancestry’s announcement that they’re retiring Family Tree Maker software. Lisa has given lots of suggestions, including RootsMagic 7 for Mac, but YOU have also sent in these comments for Mac-compatible family history software.
1. MacFamilyTree 5
“On your list of software to replace Family Tree Maker for the Mac, you should take a look at MacFamilyTree 5
. The support is fast and fabulous. The graphics on screen and in print look up-to-date and easy to read.
As someone who has been using The Master Genealogist, I had to start looking for a replacement before the FTM users. My only complaint with MacFamilyTree is that you can’t attach sources to particular items of information as I can in TMG, but you can’t in any of the other genealogy software either. I miss being able to indicate that a source for the birth had the full date but only the state for the place, for example. So I haven’t given up on TMG yet because I don’t want to lose information as I migrate my data.” -Diana
Family Tree App For Mac
2. Reunion 11
“I have received and read your website for some time, and have found many helpful ideas and comments. Your last edition (Family Tree Maker discontinued) was indeed interesting, and verified how on top of things you are—thank you.
You suggested alternatives to Family Tree Maker…RootsMagic, MyHeritage, and Backblaze. (Editor’s note: Backblaze is Cloud backup for your computer, not genealogy software). While all three programs are available with versions that will work on Macs, in all fairness to Mac users, I suggest that you include (at least mention) that a great alternative for Mac is: Reunion 11 by Leister Productions. I have used this software since their beginning, and find it world-class for the Macintosh. They also have a method for moving your tree from Family Tree Maker to Reunion.” -Bill
More Family History Software for Mac
Best Family Tree Software Mac
Thanks to Mac Users Diana and Bill for their recommendations. Here’s a great article from Family Tree Magazine outlining more options for genealogy software for the Mac.
More Inspiration from Genealogy Gems Like You
Family Tree For Mac Free
We love hearing from Genealogy Gems listeners and readers! Check out these posts from my “Mailbox.”